Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Reviews: Recent Rundowns (5 films)


Due to my recent hiatus, I can't remember all the movies I've seen. I'll try my best, though, to give a brief rundown of recent films I've seen:

The Band's Visit
A light and quaint comedy set in Israel about a Police band stranded for a day and the events that ensue in their desertion. I thought the movie was cute, quirky and sweet. Nothing epic or even spectacular, it's surprisingly heavy at time but strong with emotion. A fine achievement. 
Grade: B
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
Amy Adams continues to amaze me with every performance. But I wonder, can she ever be anything besides bubbly and cute? Even so, her performance in this film about a governess (Frances McDormand) finding herself as Adams' "social secretary" and the wild shenanigans involved in one day is endearing and lovely. I'm just a little bit in love with this film.
Grade: B+


10,000 B.C.
I don't know where to begin with it. History can be interesting, and it is. And I think when dealing with something as epic and primitive as the world 12,000 years ago, you could be more creative with a film. This movie was dull and, at times, laughable. This movie was simply ridiculous. 
Grade: D




Shutter
This is probably the worst movie I've seen in a long long time. Bad story, terrible acting, the worst dialogue EVER. Wow, I was just so blown away at how bad this was. Please, enough of the J-Horror remakes. Let's take a break from this genre. It's very, very tired.
Grade: F

Drillbit Taylor
One thing I learned while watching this is that Owen Wilson is adorable. His boyish charm along with his mess of sandy blonde hair makes my insides all fangirly. This harmless movie is more broad than a movie like Superbad (which, like this film, was a Seth Rogan collaboration) and a little younger (it's PG-13 as opposed to Superbad's R rating), but I still think it works. If nothing, it's a fluff feature with some garaunteed laughs. At least you don't have to think about it.
Grade: B

That's all I got for now. Hopefully I'll get back into the habit soon with more fun stuff.

No comments: