Sunday, November 23, 2008

Review: Christmas on Mars (2008)


Whoa. Ummmm.

I'm not a Flaming Lips fan, really. Nothing against the music, I just never got into them. Yet I went to see their crazy trip of a film Christmas on Mars tonight, and sat in the company of some people I assume have never been to a movie before.

How to describe the movie... It has a plot, I think, but I don't care. It's an instant cult classic, a mash up between Plan 9 from Outerspace, Eraserhead, and The Wizard of Oz on acid. WHOA.

And thank you, Fred Armisen, for making my life better all the time.

A couple of times I wanted to leave, just because I felt I had already attained the vibe well enough. But I stayed! And it turned out to be fine because the movie is like 70 minutes long. It is deliciously low budget; there is essence of styrofoam and egg cartons everywhere on set. The directing (by Lips front man Wayne Coyne) is bold and interesting. It's a great throwback to 50's B movie sci-fi classics. Film fans would do well not to miss this.

I don't care who you are, what your story is, who you like, who you don't like, how tired you are, just see this movie.

And thank you, Adam Goldberg, for making my life better all the time.

Grade: This movie transcends grading

1 comment:

Brickhouse said...

Nice review. I definitely want to see this film!