Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Review: I Love You, Man (2009)


What we have here is a very form-friendly bromantic comedy. Paul Rudd and Jason Segel, two of the most likable comedy actors today, meet and "fall in love", suffer some ups and downs, but make it work in the end. Aw, precious. It's got the makings of an Apatow Comedy.

But it misses the mark with the comedy. It's cute, I guess. The two actors have great chemistry together and there's plenty of material, but the laughs were just not coming. Usually with these guys my face and my gut are hurting in the first 20 minutes. I laughed out loud once in the whole 2 hours. Still, it's not bad. I think that Paul Rudd (Peter) is terribly endearing and also painful to watch as a guy who has zero knowledge of how to interact with other men while trying to find a permanent friend to be his best man. While Sydney (Segel) has his oddities, he is a great complement to Peter's awkwardness.

While I thought this wasn't quite on par with the pair's previous works and collaborations, I think it's still worth watching, if just for the "aw"-inspiring moment when Peter finally says "I love you, man."

Recommended? If it's cheap!

Grade: B-
(14)

No comments: