Monday, January 21, 2008

Review: Cloverfield (2008)


I had extremely high hopes for Cloverfield. I don't know why, but I did.

While they weren't all met, I still think that the movie was pretty entertaining.

I'm not well educated in monster movies so I have nothing to compare it to. I think the film was an interesting concept, and I'm glad that I didn't recognize anyone in it. While I think it's pretty unbelievable that someone would actually run around a crumbling city, being chased by a monster while holding a video camera. Not only holding it but actually shooting it. That would be exhausting. 

But...The whole movie is unrealistic, right? 

I think showing the monster too much ruined it a bit for me. It was better when it was more mysterious. I just figured that a group of people on the ground wouldn't get much of a glimpse of the monster but they did, so I guess anything is possible.

(SPOILERS AHEAD...)
Speaking of anything is possible. I hated how invincible the main characters were. Nobody can be impaled on a structuring rod, get pulled off it, then run down flights of stairs and subsequently, the rest of New York. 

Also, I don't think anybody can survive a helicopter crash. Especially of that magnitude.

Well, you get the idea.

Nitpicking aside, I thought it was really entertaining and scary. 

And tense. Ooh boy it's tense.

Grade:B-

No comments: