Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Favorite Films of 2007


Here's my first post of the year, and I decided to start out with a look at the year that was: 2007.

FAVORITE FILMS OF 2007
I saw 44 films this year, which is a record for me. However I didn't see every one I wanted to, some of which might've made this list more difficult to put together. I'm not saying these are the best of the year, but they were my favorite, so here they are:

1. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
This film was nothing short of a masterpiece. I thought the execution of it was flawless, the story was great, and the acting was pitch-perfect. Un-doubtedly the best thing the Coens have done in years. There was no contest here. A tremendous accomplishment.


2. THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY
This film starts out from the literal point of view of a man who has been completely paralyzed save for his left eye. I thought that this whole film came with a complete package that includes good acting, good music, and beautiful photography. Emotional and always different. I was never bored.

3. ONCE
This film did not get all the recognition it deserved. A truly original love story with music as the driving force--and what music. The soundtrack is obviously what stands out here, but also the performances from the two leads are phenomenal. Just goes to show that a low budget film can still do amazing things.

4. KNOCKED UP
A sometimes brutal look into relationships and how we're betrayed by what's on the surface. Even so, this movie was smart and funny as hell. A unique drama that disguises itself as a comedy, so almost anyone can enjoy it. Great ensemble acting.

5. I'M NOT THERE
I didn't know much about Bob Dylan going into this film. Still, it didn't matter, because it's not really a biopic. I thought that having 6 actors play the same person, all for different stages of his life or different personalities of his was ingenius. Each character had a different setting and a different look. The film was innovative and fresh and new.

6. DAFT PUNK' ELECTROMA
What an abstract, ambient piece of art. I think that for a film to succeed without dialogue is something not often seen, but this delivers. Gorgeous cinematography, and an awesome soundtrack. Daft Punk created an experience that was fascinating and surreal.

7. HOT FUZZ
On the surface, it's a spoof movie. It's so much more, though, underneath. Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright are the kings of visual references, even though some are hidden. A movie for geeks by geeks. Outstanding writing. I still catch new things the more I watch it.

8. EASTERN PROMISES
I had no expectations going into this and was very pleasantly surprised. I think that Viggo Mortensen is an invaluable asset to the world of acting. He does what an actor is supposed to; make yourself vulnerable. An intriguing story and good supporting acting from Naomi Watts and Vincent Cassel

9. ATONEMENT
I'm going to get a beating for this one. I knew Atonement wasn't going to impress me but I saw it anyway, and I was amazed and blown away. What I thought was going to be a flimsy love story with sappy music attached was the complete opposite. The first 40 minutes are perfectly constructed around meticulous shots that match sharp but lovely music. The eternal romantic inside of me loved the last 40 minutes, which was full of sap and tears that I'm sure any fan of titanic will enjoy.

10. GRINDHOUSE
The minute I first heard of this film I loved it already. When two directors are so bold as to recreate an experience such as double-feature exploitation pics, my skin tingles at the thought. After viewing the movies, I was even more captivated. Rodriguez and Tarrantino are smart. These are movies that are based heavily around the experience of watching it in a movie theater. I only wish I could've seen it on the big screen (it's the only one on here I haven't), because I'm sure it would've hit me 10 times harder.

No comments: