Thursday, January 10, 2008

Review: The Savages (2007)


This movies follows the lives of two siblings who have to figure out what to do with their elderly father when he's forced out of his Arizona retirement home. 

Laura Linney and Philip Seymour Hoffman play the siblings. I want to say that I really hated Laura Linney's character. She's selfish and neurotic and annoying. However, I loved Philip Seymour Hoffman. He very quietly made the movie for me. The film focuses more on relationships and how the characters deal with life while circulating around this dramatic sub-plot. Moving the father from home to home isn't what it's about. We see the characters evolve in their struggles with ego and jealousy. Maybe a relationship not often touched on is the one between two adult siblings. One brother and sister. I found this movie sad and moving and at times inappropriately funny. Although, I think this would've been too sad if not for the comedy. 

Still reading this?

Grade:B+

No comments: