Sunday, January 18, 2009

Review: Che (2008)


Ernesto Ché Guevara's legacy in America has been reduced teenaged boys wearing his face on overlarge t-shirt. I think this is because we don't know a lot about him. Most people know he was a revolutionary, but for what, it's not entirely clear.

I don't think many directors could pull off a feat like this. Soderberg compiles over a decade of details from Ché's life and uses different styles and techniques to illustrate them, but never getting over indulgent. On the contrary, I think he does it exactly right, and it's what makes Part I interesting and engaging. Part II is different because instead of jumping around from time to location, it stays on a slow and steady journey that's harder to get through, but still interesting. It's quiet and barren. For the scale of the film, it's a huge accomplishment. I would say there are very few, miniscule flaws. I can barely point them out. I think for anyone interested to know a bit more about him, they would do well to see this film.

Also, I thought it was bold to have it all in spanish, but it's what makes it that much more realistic and candid; and the amount of work put in by its lead actor (Benecio Del Toro) to learn Argentenian Spanish is completely worth praising. It's a true epic of a film.

Recommended? Most definitely.

Grade:A
(5)

1 comment:

H.Caulfield said...

definitely agree, it was a great film