Monday, February 25, 2008

Random News: The Results


For those counting: Bourne Ultimatum-3 oscars, Juno-1 oscar.

Other than that I think the Oscars went as smoothly and as predictably as anyone could've imagined.

A brief rundown of how I felt:

First off, I was very confused about the order of these awards. From what I can recall, every ceremony has kicked off with the Best Supporting Actress award. Well, that was actually more in the middle of the ceremony. Also, the last three awards given were Actor, Director, and Picture. What makes Best Actor so much more important and epic than Best Actress?

Also on that note--before Best Actor was the Best Original Screenplay award, which seemed conveniently built up on. Sigh.

Other than that, I was quite pleased with the results.

BEST PICTURE
No Country for Old Men
--Yep. We all know how I feel about this one. Very pleased indeed.
BEST DIRECTOR
Joel and Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men
--Again. The best choice. This award was not only for this movie, but for their stream of classics they've pushed out through the years.
BEST ACTOR
Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
--Helen Mirren announced this before she even opened the envelope. I thought it would've been funny if it had actually been Johnny Depp. Day-Lewis dedicates awards to sons, not Heath Ledger.
BEST ACTRESS
Marion Cotillard, La Vie en Rose
--Cate Blanchett's reaction to her winning was priceless! I think everybody in that room was as ecstatic as she was. This virtual unknown french actress (who I only know from small roles is like, two films) was so happy and so sweet up on that stage. I'm really glad she won. Now I just have to see the film...
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
--Ah, he is probably the coolest guy I have or will ever see in this business. I'm blown away by SeƱor Bardem.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton
--I was sad that Cate didn't win (but admittedly, nobody had a lock on this award), however, Tilda Swinton's speech was pretty good. I wish I could work with George Clooney, so I could make fun of him from the stage.
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Diablo Cody, Juno
--She cried. I cried. For different reasons, of course. She won. Can we get over her now?
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men
--Yussss. I'm glad that the Coens pretty much dominated the awards show (besides editing, mixing and cinematography). This was really their year.
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Ratatouille
--Didn't see it, but I'm sure.. I'm absolutely sure it's great.
BEST DOCUMENTARY
Taxi to the Dark Side
--
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
The Counterfeiters (Austria)
--
BEST ORIGINAL SONG
''Falling Slowly,'' Once
--Oh my god. I was legitimately thrilled for this to win. "The little movie that could", as so aptly described by Colin Farrell, really did, and boy were those two happy. Glen Hansaard has the coolest accent. He says stuff like "Tanks" instead of "Thanks". Good choice, academy.
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Atonement
--This score? Beautiful. If it wasn't going to be There Will be Blood, I would've wanted it to be this.
BEST ART DIRECTION
Sweeney Todd
--I think I called this. Didn't I? I think it would be a terrible shame for a movie based on a play NOT to win for best art direction.
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
There Will Be Blood
--Spot on. This movie? Bloody gorgeous.
BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
--Ha! I called this one too!
BEST FILM EDITING
The Bourne Ultimatum
--Damn, I didn't see it. But, it's one of those movies, I guess.
BEST MAKEUP
La Vie en Rose
--The transformation from turning the french rosette Cotillard into the withered Edith Piaf was seamless.
BEST SOUND EDITING
The Bourne Ultimatum
--*see film editing
BEST SOUND MIXING
The Bourne Ultimatum
--
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
The Golden Compass
--Um, sure!
BEST ANIMATED SHORT
Peter & the Wolf
--
BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
Freeheld
--
BEST LIVE-ACTION SHORT
Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)
--

Overall this was a pretty good ceremony, although the musical numbers made it tough, as well as the Honorary Oscar speech (I know they can turn on the music for them. They just don't).
Seth Rogan and Jonah Hill--Best. Presenters. Ever.

No comments: