Monday, February 11, 2008

Review: Cassandra's Dream (2008)


Woody Allen is not well-known to me, so I apologize if this review is a tad under-educated. 

That said, I don't need to be a Woody Allen fan to know if I liked a movie or not. Anyway, 

Cassandra's Dream is about two brothers (Ewan McGregor and Colin Farrell) who need money, so they go to their very rich uncle Howard (Tom Wilkinson). He agrees to help them, if only first they'll help him--by killing a former associate who is going to spill some very bad information on Uncle Howard.

And there you have it. A moral dilemma. They don't want to, but apparently they're just scared little babies, according to Uncle Howard, who takes a sudden turn in demeanor so extreme it's laughable. 

I had trouble with the dialogue. Mostly when said by McGregor and his on-screen love interest. The problem with McGregor is that he sounds awkward on screen. The problem with the woman? The lines are just weird.

"Being rescued is one of my wicked dreams"

Come. On. The film has a few comedic elements, where you're not sure if you're supposed to laugh or not, but there are some moments where it's funny by accident. 

I thought that the execution of building tension was flawless. I was wringing my hands the whole time, when the two brothers are about to "cross the line" as it were, and never return. 

The one performance I did like a great deal was Colin Farrell, who surprised me. His turn as a drunk, scared shitless hitman was spot on and made me feel awful for the things he felt awful for.

Overall, a film that was decent enough, but like I said, I don't know Allen well.

Grade: B-

No comments: