Saturday, February 16, 2008

Shelf Life: V for Vendetta (2006)

I first saw this film at a preview screening in March 2006 and thought it was pretty cool. It's interesting, stylized, and best of all British. When I watched it again on November 5 of that year, I couldn't believe that it was the same movie. I thought it was more than pretty cool. I thought it fantastic. 
"Adapted from David Lloyd's graphic novel of the same name, "V for Vendetta" tells the story of Evey Hammond and her unlikely but instrumental part in bringing down the fascist government that has taken control of a futuristic Great Britain. Saved from a life-and-death situation by a man in a Guy Fawkes mask who calls himself V, she learns a general summary of V's past and, after a time, decides to help him bring down those who committed the atrocities that led to Britain being in the shape that it is in."
-imdb.com
Along with the movie being just plain awesome, I received a pack of four postcards from the screening, all with original and stylish art:

Every time I see the movie it continues to move me. The last scene, stocked with powerful symbolism is one of the best endings to a movie I've ever seen. Really fine performances from Stephen Rea and Hugo Weaving. And I guess Natalie Portman too, but I don't like her much as an actor and as a person, so whatever. 

The fact that there are several small stories within the bigger picture makes it possible for multiple viewings.

The Wachowski Brothers seem to always have one more thing up their sleeve.

If you haven't seen this, I urge you to do so soon.

No comments: