Sunday, December 07, 2008

Review: My Name is Bruce (2007)


If you don't have any idea who Bruce Campbell is, 1.) I'm very sorry and 2.) this movie really isn't for you.

It's constructed mostly of inside jokes and I suppose a few non-inside ones (which don't add anything spectacular) surrounding Bruce Campbell's life as a B-list cult icon.

Also directed by Campbell, it's a highly parodical look into his life. He's rude, chauvinistic, and in general, an asshole. But, you can't help but like him (it helps that he was present at the screening I attended). The film has a few major flaws, such as the script, which you can tell is lacking some depth. It's nearly 90 minutes, but it still felt a bit long. I thought the ending was cheap and contrived. Most of the jokes needed a little extra something, but all in all, it was enjoyable enough, and I love the Evil Dead trilogy, so that was a big factor.

I think I was the most excited whenever Ted Raimi was onscreen (I'm not sure why. Maybe because he rules). He's just a silly guy and actually a good actor. It's a shame he only scrapes by with cameos in his brother's films.

All in all, I'd say Bruce's self-deprecating portrait is decent, as he's surely no Sam Raimi. I think I'll go watch Evil Dead 2...

Grade: C

No comments: